Monday, October 31, 2011

Little Capitalist Pig

But no-one told me. My culture, as I understand it, values independence above all things- in part to ensure a mobile labor force, grease for the machine of a capitalist economy. Our fairy tale commands: Little Pig, go out and seek your fortune! So I did. 
- p 14, High Tide in Tuscon, Barbara K.

Barbara, it seems that you've hit the nail on the head of my generational issue. As I wrote about in Community Development 101 my generation has inhaled the idea of movement as a right of passage. Uprooted from family, from home, from an environment where you know the streets, trees and shrubs out of habit and not study, we've chosen to blow where the wind takes us. On to wherever the next, better, sexier, more profitable job takes us. City life of the far-off land has been glamorized to the point that no rural town has a chance to keep its' youth. Before they can realize the difference between reality-TV and advertisements, they are already sold.

I was too. 

Go Little Pig! I breathed in.

I exhaled the hot breath of a teenager, dying to yank my fifth generation roots out of the fertile soils of coastal California.

When my father yelled at my 18 year old self- Your great-great-great grand parents moved to California to get an education! I yelled back- So what?! I'm moving to New York.

And I did. 

No comments: