Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Round House



Reflecting back, I've oft writen about the want to build a home. Most times, I've written about my passion for tiny houses, small victorians on wheels, built by ordinary people, with sensible ecological design.

Two weeks ago, and a short search on craigslist, brought a different sort of home into my life- a round house.

My partner lived in a yurt for most of his doctoral program. I loved staying over, surrounded by canvas and lattice, a simple pleasing design. A nest. He has suggested before that were it up to him to decide, he would remain a yurt dweller permanently. As this school year draws to a close, and we are looking to return to Santa Cruz, our hometown, and we had been discussing housing options. Enter craigslist. (A foot note here: craigslist is a splendidly dangerous adventure of a website, where I've bought, bartered and sold everything from chickens to cars. Browsers Beware! ) Anyway, enter craiglist. Thursday afternoon I was eating lunch, browsing the sale items on Bay Area list. There it appeared, a twenty food diameter, three year old (off-gassed), well kept yurt, minutes from down town Santa Cruz. I told D and less than 24 hours later, we were shaking hands with its now former owner. Within 48 hours, we had it on the back of a rental truck bound for its new home. Within a week, it was back up at its new site.

And what proud new round home owners we are...


.

No comments: