Thursday, January 28, 2010

Coming Home

I am fully in graduate school now. A student academic- worldview blown open.

New possibilities unfold.


I've learned, or rather remembered, that school is all consuming. There is no time-sheet to check off, no reason to stop at the end of the work day. The possibilities of learning stretch on ad-infinitum. No end.


Recently the infinitum has zeroed in on an academic discipline that I'm thinking, looks more and more like home. Political Ecology. I could claim I had been doing it for some time. My interests and actions over the last few years to those in the know would look like Political Ecology in practice. But to state that it was knowingly so, would be misleading. For years I've categorized my academic interests as laying in the cross-section of environmental studies and politics. I identify with Feminist research methodology- academia, action, and emancipation combined. I favor a Geographer's view of the world as an interconnected whole. I study agriculture. But it took a certain professor here, and two weeks worth of Political Ecology readings, to realize- that all of this time, a collection of like minded individuals had been out there. I've read their theory, I've studied their research with interest. The sur-names Davis, Blaikie, Muldavin, Watts, and perhaps even Guthman kept coming up in my life, on my book shelfs, in my references.


And I've put it together. I am a first-world political agroecologist. Hurrah! My people! I'm home!

No comments: