Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Education for the Masses?

While I sit comfortably in my TA office, debating whether or not to pick up cookies for my students this class, the UC Regents are passing and unprecedented increase in student tuition. Student tuition UC wide have just been increased 32%- The largest jump in student fees since the beginning of the institution.

My great grand parents would be outraged-- as my father once said- "Your great grandfather moved to California to get an education!" Now what dad?! Now that UC tuition will out-price all but the upper middle class kids. What are we waiting for? Do I actually expect Arnold is going to increase public education funding- flying in in the face of his great republican forefathers?! No.

I encourage my readers who are voters in this great state of California to write Arnold. Join with the chorus of students who protested today at Berkeley, and the faculty who held classes off campus. Say no to the increasing public disinvestment of public education.

Here is an article detailing the fee increases:

http://www.sacbee.com/education/story/2332774.html?mi_rss=Education

Here is a website you can log onto to send a letter to our state legislature, nothing too radical- it's even endorsed by the president of the UC Regents!!!:

http://www.ucforcalifornia.org/uc4ca/home/

All together. Now. Save one of our nations last public education systems!

No comments: