Thursday, August 27, 2009

A deal with the devil

I did it. I made a deal with the devil. 
The devil with a petroleum engine, start plugs- who smokes smog and guzzles down swills of freeway pavement. 

After a few years of being car-free. I bought an auto-mobile. A girl on the go. 

Months of debating the options on a hopeless quest to find a car I can believe in- I settled on the VW TDI Super wagon. One part sports car, one part mom mobile. It gets 50 mpg and can run b-5 biodiesel. Ranked the green car of the year. 

I took the train from Santa Cruz to Roseville and biked into the auto mall, built like a race track, four lanes of people test driving their new cars. Car sales man turned their heads to stare at my bright pink 80's speed racer, paniers, toe clips and all, as I pulled in to the dealership. 

Everything checked out, and I came home with an almost new car. One that will last me a good long time, keep me safe, and allow me to cart flowers, any where I so choose.  In living in America, sometimes we're forced to make these deals. Sell our souls to be able to fully participate, show up for family, and market goods. I'm grateful for the opportunity to challenge my inhibitions and make friends with my own personal demons. 

1 comment:

Tracy said...

You finally gave in :) Great blog Jess..I had no idea and look, you freshened up your spelling ( or you have a secret elf who proofreads). You know I you! Now I can keep up with your insane life and adventures...we have a blog too, but not much to report at this time in life..