Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Propagate!

Again the blend of lessons and wilderness collide. Our down garden manager brought a virtual forest of perennials into the classroom today. Seamlessly weaving his lecture on propagation, the dgm cut into the root, stocks and shoots of tender young plants- casting the dregs to the floor as if the concrete were the duff of his pretend woody perennial forest. If it must be done inside, nothing helps inside learning like outside props. Still, eight hours of lecture in a small room on a gorgeous day is hard to tolerate. I've become accustomed to working outside. Stretching my legs and training my body to physical work. Sitting for a whole day seems like a chore, even when what we're learning is interesting. 
Regardless, after the lesson today on asexual propagation, I find myself eyeing perennials with new lust. The knowledge keys of infinite propagation have been handed down to us. The ability to genetically clone nearly any established plant. Gardens and chaparral beware! I'm armed with a set of felcos and nail clippers and I'm coming for you. 


No comments: