Saturday, April 18, 2009

Weekend Respite

Living on this farm is existence in a capsule. Time and space cease to exist. I moved three miles up hill, and I'm on a different planet, surrounded by a new population. Detached from familiarity. Suspended in spring.
 
It's been overwhelming to move out of my well established, much contented existence in Santa Cruz into a new space with 39 intensely passionate individuals. Social interaction has zapped much of my energy as we have bounced from one well planned activity to the next. Between that, physically working, and carting my sore bones from the farm up to the garden and back, there has been little juice left in me to perform menial tasks. Basic hygiene has slumped into the role of a previous priority, over taken by homework, lifework, relationship maintenance, and general adjustment.  

Ushered in by a Friday afternoon of fairly strenuous compost pile building, the weekend has enveloped the farm with stillness. The group breaking up into pods of forming friendships and splinters of solitude. My body and mind were ready to rest. Exhausted, I welcome it. 

No comments: