Sunday, November 16, 2008

Barack the Nation


I am breathing daily sighs of relief. In each new city I visit since the election I see more signs of celebration and hope. In Miami, victory posters were erected. In Washington DC the train conductor told me he was calling in sick on Inauguration day. In New York tables have been set up all over town that present the opportunity for passerby's to buy any possible thing with the Obama theme.  Even with all of the hype, I wish our new president the best in these troubled times. I think that he is going to have a tough row to hoe unless all of those who voted for him pull together in support of his policies and ideas. May we all as citizens continue to hold him and our other elected officials accountable to their actions through continued participation in our representative democracy. Winning the election is not enough. I encourage everyone to continue to make their voice heard, believing that only through continued sustained pressure will we achieve a semblance of true democracy. Thankfully, Mr Obama has streamlined the process for us with his new transition website (note that it is concurrent with the philosophy that drove his campaign all the way to the white house.)  
Please check out:www.change.gov 




No comments: